Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Lovely Year of Finishes

As the new year was approaching I was trying to decide what I wanted to accomplish in 2013.  An organized house, to take baths, mask and scrub my face more came to mind.  But what was burning most in my head were all the works in progress I have going on in my sewing room downstairs.  I got caught up with my quilting in 2012 - I need to actually sew now in 2013.

Having several projects I really want to get done - I told myself, 1 project a month - I can start a new project, but I have to complete one in progress project each month.  I also wanted to try to do 1 Christmas item each month so I don't feel overwhelmed come November.

Then I came across this in blogland.

My Button

What a great way to motivate me - and so much fun to see what others have going on with their WIP.

This quilt is nearly 2 years in the making - I saw the kit for this quilt as a pre order on the Fat Quarter Shop.  I couldn't stop thinking about the quilt - so I ordered all the supplies without having to wait for the kit to be ready.



About 6 months later - I started on the project at our first Sewing Retreat .  I got 9 blocks done and when I came home, thought I'd get it completed for Christmas 2011- which obviously never happened. Sadly the quilt got put away and forgotten about for the first part of 2012.

I finally pulled it out in September or so of this year to get it completed for Christmas 2012.  I got to 21 out of 30 blocks done - and finally threw in the towel in yearly December knowing it wasn't going to happen for Christmas.

But I love this quilt - and I wanted it done - so I decided it would be my first finish for 2013.  I wasn't going to work on ANYTHING else until I got this done.  And when I say ANYTHING I mean, quilt projects, house cleaning, laundry - I haven't touched anything in my house and we're a week into the year - so this quilt better come together quickly!

Happy to say - over the weekend - I got all my blocks completed and the quilt laid out and ready for the rows to be sewn together.  This not so great picture was taken with my iphone, with bad light, at 2am - so please know these blocks look much better in person.

The pattern is Lucky Stars by Terry Atkinson and the fabric line is Grace by 3 Sisters for Moda.  I am making the twin size quilt - and hope to have it completed this week!  Stay tuned.

Head on over and check out the other projects in process at Sew Bitter Sweet Designs.  I'm so glad I found this Year of Finishes to help me stay on task this year.  I'm already thinking about my February finish - I think its gotta be my Swoon quilt.....

2 comments:

Melia Mae Quilting said...

Good luck with finishing your quilt. I must say I know how that feels. Can't wait to see everything you complete this year.

Erin said...

I have that pattern and it's one of the few quilts I've ever actually finished. Love the fabric you chose and can't wait to see it finished.